The Evolution of Ricky Montgomery

Photo+Credit%3A+Youtube+
Photo Credit: Youtube

Artists frequently go on expeditions of self-discovery in the ever-evolving field of music, honing their skills as they make their way through the forest of inspiration. This phenomenon is not exclusive to the indie-pop sensation Ricky Montgomery. 

His progress as an artist and performer throughout the years can be seen in the progression of his lyrics, which have evolved intriguingly–from his humble beginnings on Vine to the climb of prominence in the music business.

Before making a name for himself in the music industry, Montgomery was well-known for his amusing and recognizable Vine videos. His witty, humorous, and occasionally melancholy six-second stories served as a prelude to the depth he would later explore in his music. 

Even while his early pieces were lighthearted and amusing, there was a sense of underlying vulnerability.

The turning point in Montgomery’s career was when he switched from being a Vine phenomenon to a musician with the release of his debut EP “Caught on the Moon” in 2016.

This EP came out while hints of the lyrical depth that would later define his sound were becoming more noticeable. Songs like “Line Without a Hook” and “Talk To You” demonstrated his talent for creating emotionally gripping narratives.

Montgomery’s Vine roots still shined bright through his early music; he was marked by a delightful and whimsical charm, along with clever wordplay and a playful approach to storytelling. 

Montgomery’s poetic development grew alongside the success of his career with the release of his 2020 album “Montgomery Ricky”, which can only be described as coldly comforting. 

The style in songs like “Mr. Loverman” and “My Heart is Buried in Venice” was more complex and introspective than any song Montgomery has ever written. His experiences and feelings were more fully expressed in the lyrics, deeply influencing the audience.

This evolution becomes evident in songs like “This December”, with the lyrics, “I don’t wanna let you know, but I’ve been trying hard to let you go, I don’t wanna tell you, but I can’t be feeling like I did before.”

Here, Montgomery’s lyrics take on a more somber and thoughtful tone, reflecting the pain and uncertainty that often accompanies the end of a romantic relationship. 

The focus shifts from whimsy to genuine emotion, revealing his willingness to explore the complexities of human relationships through his work; Montgomery has addressed social and political concerns in addition to personal experiences through his sound. 

He explores themes of loneliness and isolation in songs like “Line Without a Hook”, which is relatable to most of the population, especially in the wake of a global pandemic. 

His willingness to address timely and delicate subjects in his music indicates his development as a musician and a socially concerned person.

One can only speculate about the literary regions Montgomery has yet to travel while he develops as an artist. 

It’s been incredible to see his transformation from an eccentric Vine comedian to a well-known artist, and it will be exciting to see where his lyrical development leads him in the future. 

There is no doubt that Montgomery’s music will continue to resonate because of its sincere, relevant, and thought-provoking lyrics.