AMC’s Interview with the Vampire

Photo Credit: IMDb

“Interview with the Vampire is a series that premiered on AMC in 2022. The seven-episode series follows a turbulent gay love story between two vampires in early to mid-twentieth-century New Orleans. 

The show is based on the gothic fiction book “Interview with the Vampire”, written by acclaimed author Anne Rice. Released in 1976, the novel would skyrocket in popularity, becoming a staple in the gothic literature genre.

Created by Rolin Jones, the 2022 AMC adaptation vastly differs from the book with several changes to multiple characters and storylines within the series. 

The story is recounted through memories by the former human turned-vampire Louis de Pointe du Lac to journalist Daniel Molloy in 2022. Molloy interviews Louis to create a new book to expose the vampire race to the public.

Portrayed as a Black Creole man, Louis is a successful brothel owner who runs several prostitution houses in the red-light district of New Orleans. Louis recounts his experiences and life as a bisexual Black man living in New Orleans in the early twentieth century who was turned by a vampire named Lestat de Lioncourt. 

While we know little of Lestat’s origins, except the fact that he is from France and was allegedly abused by a vampire (throughout the series it is made very clear that Louis isn’t exactly known to tell the truth), he can seduce Louis and make him come to terms with his sexuality and his new life as a vampire.

Louis recounts his turbulent and fraught relationship with Lestat due to his controlling and psychotic nature, which is amplified due to their lust for human blood. 

Lestat’s behavior and actions toward Louis cause him to question their relationship and the power imbalance in their interracial relationship. 

Louis and Lestat’s relationship becomes even more complicated when they adopt and turn Claudia, a 14-year-old orphan. Due to her being trapped eternal and physically as a 14-year-old, Claudia rebels against Louis and Lestat and questions the possibility of there being more vampires. 

The series is a perfect blend of themes surrounding Queerness, gothic literature and storytelling, and the supernatural while involving lots of bloody sequences.

It was praised by critics and fans, with Rotten Tomatoes giving the series the title of “Best Reviewed Horror Series of 2022”. Due to the praise and popularity of the series, the show was greenlighted to be given a second season. 

The release date was said to be in the fall of 2023 but was halted by the SAG writers’ strike that occurred from early May to the end of September. 

While there have been numerous claims and stories circulating that the series’ second season will premiere in 2023 around spring, there still has been no official announcement by AMC.

As of November 2023, teasers and trailers have been released by AMC, offering fans a sneak peek at what’s to come. The season will take place in France during the 1940s and will follow Louis and Claudia’s experiences interacting with other vampires in Europe. 

While new updates surrounding the date of the premiere are being released, fans are left with heavy anticipation for the upcoming season.