Tipping the Scale

AP Literature teacher, Amy Gross consistently tips the scale of society by perpetuating the importance of the arts.
Mariah Disney
AP Literature teacher, Amy Gross consistently “tips the scale” of society by perpetuating the importance of the arts.

In the grand theater of our modern world, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) ascends the towering spires of society, its gleaming emblems adorning the walls of innovation and progress. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, the heralds of the future, are celebrated for their capacity to unlock the mysteries of the universe and drive the relentless march of technology. 

Just as society as a whole places this immense value on STEM, many students believe that their STEM classes are more important. 

Senior Jill Lara said, “I value my STEM classes more.” Junior Danielle Guevara shares this opinion.Guevara said, “I like my science class more”.

Yet, as the spotlight shines bright on STEM, it casts a long shadow over Language Arts, the unsung hero of the human experience.  

With eloquence and finesse, Language Arts unfurls the tapestry of human emotion and intellect. It is the domain of poetry, prose, and the resonant voices of storytellers. 

The study of literature, writing, and the humanities is the treasure trove of our shared human narrative. The written word, a vessel of our collective wisdom, has the power to inspire, inform, and connect individuals across time and space. 

It bestows upon us the tools to explore the spectrum of human experience, from the profound depths of sorrow to the ethereal heights of joy.  

This imbalance between the logical precision of STEM and the emotional resonance of Language Arts tilts the scales of society, threatening to disrupt the harmonious equilibrium between logic and emotion.

In a world enamored with the possibilities of technology and scientific advancement, the humanities often find themselves relegated to the periphery. 

We revere the scientific method and the technological marvels it begets, but in doing so, we neglect the beauty of human expression. 

Language Arts, the realm of wordsmiths and storytellers, the bearer of cultural heritage and the vessel of human expression, has long whispered its tales in the quiet corridors of history. 

From the ancient epics of Homer’s “Iliad” and “Odyssey” to Shakespeare’s immortal verse in “Romeo and Juliet”, it is the gift of words that has carried the collective wisdom and emotional legacy of humanity. 

The arts hold the ability to articulate our deepest thoughts, convey our passions, and pass on the vibrant tapestry of our shared human experience. 

It is through the lyrical beauty of language that we convey our desires for peace, equality, and justice.

Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, with its poetic eloquence, galvanized a nation to champion civil rights. The “Declaration of Independence,” a cornerstone of democratic values, was meticulously crafted with the artistry of language, setting the stage for the birth of a new nation.  

Society does not see the intrinsic value in the arts because modern schooling prioritizes subjects in which they can see immediate results. As AP Literature teacher Amy Gross said, “Taxpayers, governments, and industry prefer to pay for things they can see direct and obvious value for – ‘we need more engineers, not artists and writers!’” 

This consensus is also seen within students’ opinions. Senior Xinlan Liu said, “I love my English class, but I don’t know what exactly I would do with an English major. At least with Biology I can be like a doctor.”

Yet, in reality, the neglect of Language Arts, in its many forms, robs society of the emotional depth that human connection and storytelling can provide. 

Furthermore, the societal preference for STEM perpetuates harmful gender stereotypes. STEM fields are frequently perceived as male-dominated, their emphasis on logic and quantitative analysis reinforcing the notion of “masculine” pursuits. In contrast, the empathy and communication central to Language Arts are sometimes labeled “feminine.”

This gendered categorization perpetuates stereotypes, limiting the aspirations of individuals and contributing to gender imbalances in education and careers. 

The neglect of Language Arts has profound real-world implications. It limits our ability to understand the complexities of human society and culture, stifling the development of well-rounded individuals capable of appreciating the multifaceted tapestry of the world. 

English and the Arts are so important, it brings us together as people as a community as human beings.”

— Amy Gross

As Gross said, “English and the Arts are so important, it brings us together as people as a community as human beings”. 

Without the nurturing of creativity, critical thinking, and emotional intelligence that Language Arts provides, we produce graduates who may excel in technical skills but cannot engage in meaningful human interaction. 

Moreover, creative industries and cultural expression are stifled as STEM takes center stage. Literature, art, music, film, and other creative endeavors enrich our understanding of society and culture, offering insights into the human condition that mathematical equations and scientific theories cannot provide. 

Neglecting these cultural dimensions by prioritizing STEM threatens to erode the very essence of our shared humanity and the cultural richness that defines us.  

To restore balance, society must champion a well-rounded education that values both STEM and Language Arts. A harmonious blend of logic and emotion is the key to navigating the complexities of the modern age and building a society that thrives both technologically and emotionally. 

While STEM’s presence in society is undoubtedly significant, we must not forget the importance of Language Arts. The pursuit of a balanced education that values both STEM and Language Arts is essential to fostering a society that can tackle the multifaceted challenges of our interconnected world and savor the richness of the human experience in all its emotional splendor.