Beauty Standards in the U.S. and East Asia

Beauty standards vary across different cultures and societies, and possibly the most evident example of this is the beauty standards between the United States and Asia. 

What is considered beautiful in the United States might not be desirable traits in Asia.

In Asia, a beauty standard that has been emphasized particularly is having fair or pale skin as opposed to tan features within the U.S. This beauty standard can be traced back to Asia’s history, pale skin was associated with being upper class since the upper class did not have to work outside under the sun and inevitably tan.

This beauty standard is perhaps the most prevalent in Asia as fair skin is associated with beauty, purity, and femininity. Because of the beauty standard, many skin whitening creams and cosmetics were produced, and became very popular, especially in South Korea and China.

The goal is to appear youthful, perhaps so youthful that they appear childlike. Women in Asia want to appear innocent and cute, pure and clean.

Another common Asian beauty standard is having a slim figure. There is a prevalent desire for a petite and slender body shape. Asian influencers and celebrities portray slim figures as desirable and feminine. People in Asia diet and work in attempts to attain this slim figure.

However, there has been a growing movement in recent years in Asia that embraces different body types and promotes body positivity in Asian societies.

In contrast, the United States has a more diverse set of beauty standards, since the U.S. has a multicultural background. 

The U.S. has beauty standards that promote fair and tanned skin, and slim and curvy figures.

The American beauty industry has evolved with the trends, whether it be tanning beds or bronzer.

However, the United States has also begun to celebrate a range of body types and individuality. The American beauty industry has shifted towards inclusivity, promoting positivity, diversity, and representation. People are encouraged to embrace their features and characteristics, instead of comparing themselves with the beauty standard.

The United States also values youthful appearances, placing importance on a healthy and fit lifestyle. There has been a recent growing trend, however, that embraces aging gracefully and promotes self-acceptance at every stage in life.

It is important to recognize that these beauty standards are not fixed or universal. They evolve and are subject to change due to various factors, such as globalization, media influence, and societal shifts.

And it is essential to acknowledge that these standards are not representative of every individual within these regions. Beauty should be defined by self-acceptance and every person’s uniqueness, not by a beauty standard.

Beauty standards in any country cause insecurity and low self-esteem, especially in women. 

Individuals are constantly comparing themselves to celebrities and influencers, and they are comparing themselves to what might be unattainable goals. People everywhere around the world are changing themselves because of beauty standards, whether it is plastic surgery or Photoshop. 

Beauty should not be defined by society, but by whatever any person defines beauty. We can all have different definitions of beauty.