Is Napping After School Worth It?

Coming home after a stressful day of school to take a nap has to be one of the best feelings. Covered in your blanket, ready to fall asleep, but then, you hear someone calling your name. I mean, how dare you fall asleep after school?! That’s what sleeping at night is for right?  

Wrong. According to Annie Walton Doyle at Sleepopolis, “a better use of time may be a nap followed by re-approaching work with a fresh and well-rested mindset. This can be particularly useful for any self-directed study, like doing required readings, writing essays or preparing for a test”

Taking a nap after getting home from school can help increase your concentration on your homework, or anything else you may have to do.

However, sleeping itself is very fun either way, I mean, think about it, just knowing the feeling that you’ll get to rest and feel better once you wake up is enough to make me want to take a nap after I write this. The idea of my stress going away for 30 minutes or more –because there are times those 30 minutes turn to three hours– is more than enough to already relieve some of that pre-existing stress. It helps you be able to mentally stabilize yourself in an easy and effective environment.

Coming home after a long day from school or even a job can be such a relief but the stress comes back when you think of all the work you have to complete. After talking to students the common response that is gathered is: home, eat, sleep, then get to homework and repeat. Many high school students rarely have downtime as it is and sleep is a key benefactor for stress reduction as you wind down and relax your mind before getting to work. 

Many students may come back home with a negative mood as the day they concurred through had so many obstacles, although sleep is key to everything, memory, better mood, attention, etc. Lack of sleep can be negative on mind and body functions with sleep comes with so many benefits for mind and body. 

Stress is the main component as to why teens oftentimes are in a bad mood sleeping has been proven to solve portions of induced stress from school, work, or overall a long day. It would actually be very beneficial for focus and even athletic performance. 

Overall, Students and workers would benefit with quality sleep or taking a nap after their long day of school or work.