“Building Madness”: The LOHS Drama Department’s Hilarious Comedy

Scarlet Vandegrift

Randall Shorts’ theatre productions are always a blast, and “Building Madness” was as hilarious as expected, even more so!
Everything was on point, and the special effects, manned by the students of Shorts’ Theatre Tech Class, were displayed with perfect execution.
I was able to view a performance of “Building Madness” on Friday, November 3.
Two friends, Paul Fielding and Max Marshall, take over an architecture firm. However, before they leap to success, an infamous crime family, Ruby and Vito Deleoni, a flighty secretary, Trixie Fuller, and a jealous and powerful heiress, Gwen Gladwell, all prove to be tough problems that infect their wishful plan.
I was also able to interview a handful of students who were a part of the fantastic production.
“…the best part of the rehearsal process is when the actors stop being themselves and be one with their character,” said Assistant Director Sophomore Saeid Rasheed. He had the amazing opportunity to watch the actors grow into their characters and bloom onstage.
Assistant Director Junior Payton Duncan had similar thoughts as Rasheed. Duncan said, “I love watching them [the actors]… I love watching them act!”
The cast was infinitely lucky to have two amazing student directors working alongside Director Shorts.
Six actors performed in the show and all of their theatrical presentations were flawless, with the exact amount of comedic timing.
Senior Xander Shorts, who played Paul Fielding, said, “I’m really excited for this show. I think we got it down. It’s for the CETA festival and I think we are in a good spot for competing.”
Here’s the twist on this particular production presented by the Drama Department: the CETA festival. “Building Madness” was adjudicated by a set of judges and was additionally scored for the performance.
Junior Lucas Elliot, who played Max Marshall, was excited about the performances, a general emotion that was held by the entirety of the cast before performing. “I love getting to work with the people and explore with them throughout the show,” said Elliot, in response to what makes him excited to attend rehearsals after school every day.
Senior Sara Buck, who played Gwen Gladwell, knows both sides of the theatre, as she is enrolled in Shorts’ Theatre Tech class and has performed in a multitude of shows at LOHS. “I love it when you finally get to technique and everything comes together. You can see the vision,” said Buck.
“I’m ready to perform,” said Sophomore Evynn Domenech, who played Trixie Fuller. “I’m ready to have fun!” Domenech has performed multiple times in the program and is amazing at her craft.
Sophomore Lily Garcia, who played Ruby Deleoni, made her LOHS debut in “Building Madness”. She said, “I think it’s [the rehearsal process] is fun… I’ve learned a lot… I think the way we’ve learned to tell the story is really cool.” Garcia mentioned how she adored her costumes, which were perfectly aligned with the 1930s era.
Most costumes for the Drama Department productions are owned by LOHS, but some are provided by Liz Shorts and Lori Briscoe.
Sophomore Giuseppe Galioto, who played Vito Deleoni, also made his debut in the comedy on the LOHS stage. “It’s been a lot of fun,” he said. “It’s new. It’s the first one I have done.” A definite truth.
The actors make up a large part of every theatrical performance, however, the farce would not have been made possible without the wonderful cast of technicians working through rehearsals and shows.
Seniors Ruby Preciado and Johnny Fisher were a part of the amazing creation of the production.
Preciado was the Prop Manager and was committed to her job. Preciado commented on how the technicians also build props. “Making some will take multiple days during 6th period and rehearsal,” said Preciado.
Props built for the show were the dictaphone and dart board.
Additionally, Fisher acted as the Stage Manager and made sure everything ran smoothly during the shows. “I help keep everything in check and everything running smoothly,” said Fisher. Fisher also mentioned how Theatre Tech Students came into Saturday School to build the set for the farce.
“Building Madness” was a feat. A complete success for everyone performing and working during the show. I give my greatest gratitude for the production of the comedy, and the performance proved to be increasingly enjoyable and exceeded the expected humor.
“Building Madness” was as elegant and enchanting as professional productions, with its charming set, wonderful cast of characters, and defined style and sophistication of both Assistant Directors and Mr. Shorts.