Drugstore Beauty and Makeup is Becoming Less Accessible

Freepik
Make up products in drug stores are trending and becoming inaccessible to those with limited means. (Freepik)

Makeup and skincare products should be accessible for everyone to play with, to explore, and to use. That concept is how drugstore brands came to be. 

Drugstore makeup continues to be marketed as a cheaper alternative to high-end makeup. However, prices continue to increase in the beauty industry, and drugstore makeup is no exception. 

In recent years, the rising cost of drugstore makeup and beauty products has become a concerning issue for many consumers. What used to be an affordable option for those on a tight budget, has now become increasingly inaccessible for people with limited resources to maintain their beauty routines.

People are finding that they can no longer go to the drugstore with $10 and buy more than one or two things.

According to the U.S. Consumer Price Index, between March 2022 and March 2023, cosmetics prices rose by 4.2 percent and personal care prices grew by 8.7 percent.

One of the main reasons behind this price surge is the growing trend of drugstore brands attempting to position themselves as high-end or luxury alternatives. To compete with upscale cosmetics, these brands have started to raise their prices, sometimes even surpassing those of their more prestigious counterparts. 

This shift in strategy has left many loyal drugstore shoppers feeling betrayed and priced out of their favorite products.

Another contributing factor is the influence of social media and influencers. 

With the rise of YouTube and Instagram, makeup enthusiasts are constantly bombarded with new product releases and the pressure to keep up with the latest trends. 

This demand for constant innovation has led to a higher turnover of products, resulting in increased production costs that are then passed on to the consumer.

Furthermore, the quality of drugstore makeup has improved significantly over the years, which is undoubtedly a positive development. However, this improvement came with a higher price point.

The rising prices of beauty products are creating a divide between those who can afford to splurge on high-end brands and those who rely on more affordable options. 

This is particularly problematic for individuals with limited disposable income who may not have the luxury of indulging in expensive cosmetics.

Additionally, the accessibility of drugstore makeup has also been affected by the closure of physical stores. As more customers shift towards online shopping, brick-and-mortar drugstores are closing their doors, reducing the convenience and ease of access to affordable beauty products for many.

To address these challenges, drugstore brands must revisit their pricing strategies and find a balance between affordability and quality. They should remember their core customer base and the importance of catering to individuals with different financial means. 

By doing so, they can maintain the loyalty of long-time customers and attract new ones who are looking for more budget-friendly options.

Both brands and consumers need to voice their concerns and work towards finding viable solutions. By prioritizing affordability and maintaining competitive pricing, drugstore brands can ensure that everyone has access to quality beauty products.