In Defense of Country Music

Country music is the most hated genre among the younger generation. Many people say that they listen to “a little bit of everything, except country music”.
While the sound and overall vibe of this genre may not be for everyone, the impact that country has had on the evolution of music is undeniable.
The origins of this genre can be traced back hundreds of years, when Europeans and Africans immigrated to North America, more specifically the Southern areas, with their folklore and instruments in the 17 century.
I’m sure many people don’t care about country music’s origins. Given this assumption, allow me to express why country music deserves to be more respected.
1990 to 2018 are considered to be the peak of country music, with several exceptions, including recent songs by newer artists or older ones.
Some of my favorite artists include Florida Georgia Line, Dierks Bently, and Luke Bryan, as well as some songs from other artists.
When Bentley’s song “Drunk on a Plane” was released in 2014, I was 8 years old. I remember waking up to my mom and sister playing it in our room and I quickly became obsessed with it.
The excitement that filled my 8-year-old face when I opened my Christmas stocking to find out that Santa had gifted me with Bentley’s album “Riser”, in which “Drunk on a Plane” was on, was unmatched.
Although people around me didn’t appreciate the song as much as I do, I have so many pleasant memories associated with that album in particular.
Since then, I’ve discovered other songs by Bentley through both of my parents. To this day, one of my favorite songs by him is “Tip it on Back”.
Aside from the personal connection, Bentley and his team are incredible songwriters. “Bourbon in Kentucky”, “Black”, and “Burning Man” are no exception.
Luke Bryan has one of the most distinctive voices in the country music scene, which is one reason why I adore him. On top of that, his Instagram posts paint him in an average Joe light, someone who just happened to get famous, which I find adorable.
“Rollercoaster” and “I See You” have to be my favorites. The entirety of his “Crash My Party” album is a masterpiece. I remember listening to it in the backseat of my dad’s car excessively as well as listening to it after my cheerleading practices.
I don’t know enough songs by Florida Georgia Line to call myself a fan, however, I can always tell when I hear their music come on and I always enjoy it.
Other artists, such as Chris Stapleton, Tim McGraw, Morgan Wallen, Zac Brown Band, Dolly Parton, and so many more have had an incredible impact on the country music scene.
Beyond my enjoyment of country, it’s hard to deny the undeniable poetry in the lyrics, as previously mentioned. A majority of country songs send a message of being happy, grieving, reminiscing, or just having a good time, as with any music genre.
Again, the sound and overall vibe may not be for everyone, but in the end, it’s hard to hate it when you take the time to listen.