“fruitcake” by Sabrina Carpenter is the Perfect Christmas EP

This holiday season, Sabrina Carpenter has decided to grace us by dropping a new holiday EP with six songs called “fruitcake”. Carpenter is known for adding some fun lyrics to her songs, typically in her hit single “Nonsense”. She makes a different outro for each concert on the spot using her location. This skill is seen in her new, flavourful album.

The album starts with the song “A Nonsense Christmas”, which is a holiday remix of her most popular song “Nonsense”. The song plays around with the lyrics by using Christmas euphemisms whenever possible. 

She changed the lines from her original song, going from “Cartwheels in my stomach when you walk in/And when you got your arms around me,” to “Snowflakes in my stomach when we’re kissing/And when you’re coming down the chimney,” and so on. Throughout the whole song, she continues to play with the same idea as the previous version, a snowy romance and how it’s got her feeling. The remix version, however, has a little Christmas touch to the lyrics and the beat. 

The song “buy me presents” is straightforward and candid, Carpenter says that whoever her partner is, they should be able to keep her satisfied with Christmas presents. Carpenter teases how she should be spoiled with presents, hinting at what she wants for Christmas. Carpenter uses this lighthearted, bright song as a way to show her silly sense of humor to her fans. 

The aura transitions to a more serious and vulnerable one in “santa doesn’t know you like i do”. Carpenter reminisces about how desperately she wants someone she no longer has. With her disheartened lyrics, she allows listeners to witness her true feelings during the holidays; “So, tell me what’s on your wishlist/I wanna make it come true,” showing her frustration with not being able to please her love interest.

Carpenter goes on to reference the protagonist of “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” by titling the song “cindy lou who”. Her most depressing song of the album yet, with sorrowful lyrics: “The boy who I love, who’s now in love with you/Cindy Lou Who.” She can identify and feel sympathy with Cindy Lou’s painful story. 

The vibe of the next track is completely different; “Is it new years yet?” describes her apathy with the holiday and readjusts the mood as it shows Carpenter wanting to move on from her last love. 

“Call it pessimism, December is a prison/It just makes me miss him/Is it New Years yet?” shows her uninterest in the holidays because she is constantly reminded of holiday romance as it gets closer to December 25.

The album is finished off with her final track “white xmas”. Her actual passion and love for Christmas are clear in the lyrics, with small references to iconic Christmas songs as she shows off her vocal talents.

Using her sweet voice to sing, the melody is heavily inspired by a certain classic aura that old Christmas songs tended to have. “May your days, may your days, may your days be merry and bright/And may all your Christmases be white,” Carpenter develops her wishes for an old-school Christmas while spreading the Christmas joy around her.

Carpenter developed a storyline for “fruitcake” while still keeping it holiday-themed. Showing her talents in lyricism, she truly finished this album with a cherry on top–of the fruitcake.