The Growing Popularity Of Veneers

Over the years, veneers have gained popularity due to unrealistic beauty standards made by social media. (Pinterest)

Dental veneers are coverings that are custommade to fit over the front surface of your teeth. These coverings hide cracks, chips, stains, or other dental imperfections. 

Veneers were initially invented in 1928 by a California dentist, Charles Pincus. He created veneers for an actor’s film shoot, but the coverings became more popular in the 1950s.

In recent years, the popularity of veneers has increased greatly, especially with the influence of social media. Many celebrities have revealed their dental procedures on media platforms, which often include veneers. 

Some celebrities with veneers are Tom Cruise, Zac Effron, Jim Carrey, et cetera. The flawless smiles of these celebrities have encouraged many others to try veneers.

Veneers provide a very natural-looking smile, using a very thin porcelain cover on the tooth. They even feel like natural teeth. Moreover, veneers can be done in as little as two dental visits, which is probably the main appeal of getting veneers; people are looking for quick results to fix their teeth. Currently, people are turning to veneers instead of braces to fix small imperfections, like crookedness and gaps in their teeth.

Another attractive thing people see in veneers is their affordability, considering how long they last. Porcelain veneers last about seven to fifteen years before they are recommended to be replaced. 

Although veneers offer many cosmetic benefits that increase confidence, there are also many disadvantages. 

A thin layer of the enamel needs to be removed in order to make space for the veneers. This is damaging to teeth and can cause sensitivity, along with the fact that veneers are very thin.
Additionally, veneers can still be damaged by chewing on hard objects, clenching teeth at night, or chewing on your front teeth. 

Veneers also cannot keep their natural white color if you have a habit of smoking, or eating food and drinks that discolor your teeth. However, this will not happen if oral hygiene is maintained well. 

There are many more drawbacks that could be prevented by protecting and taking care of your teeth. 

Veneers in general can be worth it, if you are cleaning your teeth properly. The benefits are irresistible, and most people would follow through with this procedure. 

The cleaning process of veneers is exactly the same as the cleaning process with regular teeth: brush twice a day, and floss once a day. 

Even with the obvious health drawbacks, the appeal of veneers has been enticing to everyone around the world, but especially to celebrities. The demand for this procedure has grown immensely in recent years, particularly since 2021. 

Veneers have overall improved the look of many well known celebrities, and their confidence has risen as well. Celebrities usually set the example for different cosmetic procedures and help people decide whether or not to partake in certain trends. 

Nevertheless, the decision on whether or not to get veneers depends greatly on the problem of your teeth and carefully weighing the pros and cons to see if you can handle the dental coverings.