Killer Mike

The American rapper/activist, Michael Santiago Render, known as Killer Mike. ( Photo by VLNS and Loma Vista Recordings)

The Grammy Awards took place on February 4, 2024 in Los Angeles, California. The Grammy’s are a very exciting, yet controversial event for the music industry. 

Michael Santiago Render, also known as Killer Mike is a rapper and activist. He was awarded three Grammys (best rap album, song, and performance) for his album, “Micheal”. 

Other popular artists like Drake, 21 Savage, Travis Scott, and more also were competing for these awards. 

This sparked a lot of controversy on apps like TikTok, Instagram and X, as a lot of people did not agree with the results of these awards. 

Kai Cenat, a popular streamer said on one of his streams, “I don’t know who this is” about Killer Mike, for all his viewers to hear. 

Of course, Killer Mike hears of this and in response said, “Hey man, I didn’t know who the f**k you was either.” 

To provide some background, Killer Mike was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1975. He was raised by his mother and father, as well as his grandparents. 

He found his interest in music in college when he met the producers “The Beat Bullies” and the rapper “Big Boi” from the rap group Outkast. 

He stepped foot into the music industry in the year 2000, when he featured on a song in the album “Stankonia” by Outkast. He began becoming more intricate into the industry and forming more connections with other artists. 

From there his music career took off, and his discography started. His career only went up from there, as he is now a 5 time Grammy winner, combined with his awards from earlier years.

With all the disagreements being made with the winner of these awards, there was clearly going to also be a lot of tension at the award show. And with that came chaos. 

Shortly after news came out about Killer Mike’s awards, there was then news of him being arrested at the Grammys. This isn’t something typical that happens, at an event that’s purpose is to celebrate the successes of all these music artists. 

Killer Mike said “there was some confusion around which door my team and I should enter”, “We experienced an overzealous security guard but my team and I have the upmost confidence that I will ultimately be cleared of all wrongdoing.” 

With all the commotion and havoc that took place that night on February 4, Killer Mike still stands with pride and celebrates his wins. 

He said, “I’ve worked so hard for greatness” and “I wanted to be respected” in an interview with GQ. 

With all the controversy on whether he was deserving of his Grammy awards and the arrest, he found one way to keep composure. 

In the GQ interview Killer Mike said, “And I took a couple hours, man. I was just by myself, and I was just thankful I took time to thank God and to say, I appreciate the blessings you’ve given me.”

It’s good to see that Killer Mike has found the good in this messy situation.