Students Culture In Honor Codes

An honor code is a set of rules addressing issues for students such as stealing, cheating, misrepresentation. (Pinterest)

As students, honor codes have become an integral part of our education, shaping morals of integrity for many people across all ages. It is especially prevalent in an academic setting, in which there is constant competition amongst students, whether it is in extracurriculars or with grades. 

Honor codes are statements that address academic integrity and honesty, including cheating, plagiarizing, etc. Oftentimes, students pledge to these statements, and the use of the honor code is in the idea that students can be trusted to act on good morale and not cheat, plagiarize, or lie about academic work. This even includes turning in other students who may betray that code.

The honor code has been long set into stone, being used throughout elementary school and even in top universities such as Harvard. Breaking the honor code leads to several consequences, depending on the school, but usually, it results in overall failing grades or even a suspension. It can also go on your transcripts and loom over you throughout your entire educational career. 

But this brings up the question of why we even need honor codes in the first place. Cheating has always been seen as bad, and many people are taught that at a young age, so why do we still consistently have students sign a piece of paper that pledges them to be academically honest? 

A large part of academic dishonesty revolves around the competitive nature of student culture. Especially in high school, where students are clamoring to be at the top spot for colleges and universities, students are desperate to go to every measure possible to maintain a 5.0 GPA status or an A+ mark in every AP class. 

A lot of students take on so many AP and honors courses on top of extracurriculars and tend to forget that we’re not machines. There’s so much work and studying required for these classes to succeed, but students have too much they want and need to do to get into those universities. Many times, they feel as if their only option is cheating on an assignment or test instead of taking the time to study on their own.

Of course, not every student is going to be one hundred percent honest, either. With honor codes, that trust is compromised. Even taking answers from another student is considered breaking the honor code, and if neither parties tell an authoritative figure, then they’re also technically breaking the code. 

By signing the paper, students are essentially forced to honor the codes. And normally, everyone does. But the honor code is supposed to extend to all aspects of academic settings, including not just class tests, but also work that is done at home. If you search for a homework assignment online, there’s bound to be a Quizlet with answers to it. 

That’s not honoring an honor code, is it? 

Overall, the honor codes are great in theory, however, student culture– and the pressure to succeed at all costs– have made them go against what they stand for. 

While honor codes are fine– great, even– to implement and remind students about what’s morally right, the real issue lies within the student culture. Rather than pressuring students to consistently do well, there has to be support, both academically and mentally, to prevent students from feeling as if cheating is their only way to succeed.