Standing Against Fentanyl Everywhere

Fentanyl is extremely dangerous and is 50-100 times more deadly than morphine and oxycodone. (Freepik)

The Opioid epidemic has become an increasingly more pressing issue within recent years, and the accessibility and illicit manufacturing of fentanyl has had a devastating impact on communities everywhere in the United States.

Fentanyl is a highly powerful synthetic opioid that is primarily used as an anesthetic for surgery, as well as a common pain relief prescription. However, it is also sold illegally on the streets as a white powder or pill. It can also be unknowingly laced into other drugs such as heroin or cocaine.

This drug is extremely dangerous, being 50-100 times more deadly than morphine and oxycodone. This is further amplified by the fact that it has no taste or smell, and it can be absorbed through the skin. 

As little as 2 milligrams can be fatal, and upon ingestion, it can result in nausea, vertigo, disorientation, difficulty urinating, and respiratory depression. 

Some of the long term effects include anxiety, depression, cardiac disorders, a weakened immune system, brain damage, and gastrointestinal distress. 

A clear distinction from fentanyl to other drugs is that it’s far more likely to experience poisoning rather than overdose. Many people are unaware that they’re taking it, and may be under the impression that they’re taking a less powerful drug.

Xanax is one of the most common pills that could potentially contain illegal, harmful doses of fentanyl. Be aware and cautious of any medication you ingest, and if the Xanax you ingest is missing a score line in the center of the pill, that could be an indication that it has been laced. 

Some key signs that someone may be experiencing fentanyl poisoning are extreme vomiting, small/pinpoint pupils, slow/shallow breathing, mental confusion, and loss of consciousness. If you are in the presence of someone with these symptoms, call 911 immediately, and if available, administer Naloxone (Narcan) Nasal spray.

Furthermore, you should give the person rescue breaths, and put the person in recovery position, where they are laying on their side, with their legs and arms in support positions as well as keeping their mouth open in order to prevent them from choking. Avoid shaking the person, causing them to vomit, putting them in a cold bath or shower, or injecting them with any substances.

According to Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA.org), more than 130 people die every day from opioid overdose. Together, as a community, it’s our responsibility to spread awareness and inform people of the danger of fentanyl, so hopefully one day that number is zero.

On our very own campus, efforts from Senior Abigail Corona and her creation of @weare.s.a.f.e on both Instagram and TikTok have contributed to the education of Fentanyl poisoning. She was inspired to create the page by all the lives that have been forever changed by Fentanyl, and her actions have helped make our community a better place.

She’s been personally affected by this epidemic, as she said “In 2022 we had a tragic family loss due to fentanyl poisoning and I want to do anything I can to help at least one family from having to go through what we did. Fentanyl poisoning is equivalent to murder and I want to speak up for those lost voices.”

Corona also said that the best way to spread awareness on fentanyl is by, “Spreading helpful information if the topic comes up and by being a better role model. If each of us does our own part, we can change the outcome as a whole.”