Los Osos Film Concert

PC%3A+Lori+Villasenor+
PC: Lori Villasenor

On April 21, Band, Orchestra, and Choir students will come together to present the Los Osos Annual Film Concert. Located in the Theater Auditorium, the concert will begin at 7 pm. With Mr. and Mrs. Encina organized the concert. This year, the students performed a few amazing songs from a variety of different movies and plays.

These include a few songs from “The Phantom of the Opera”, “The Music for a Darkened Theater”, “Aladdin”, “La La Land,” “Les Miserable”, “Duel of the Fates”, and “The Good the Bad and the Ugly”.

“Well, we have a guitar ensemble and a lot more solo singers than in previous concerts which makes this year’s concert very unique. Sofia Evangelista and Jace Hacanne are a few who stand out in this year’s film festival,” said Mrs. Encina. 

Some of the songs that were performed simply were Mr. and Mrs. Encina’s own picks.

Mr. Encina said, “Some of these new additions were personal favorites which I’m particularly looking forward to, [such as] a wind ensemble from the ‘Good, the Bad, and the Ugly’. Some of the pieces are from numbers that we did in years past such as ‘La La Land’, which is being brought back for this year’s concert. I think this gives the students more opportunities to play pieces they found fun or are their favorite movies.” 

Mrs. Encina added that there will be a surprise soloist this year, which everyone involved is looking forward to. 

According to Mr. Encina, the combined experience with the Band, Orchestra, and Choir was fantastic, “It’s always a lot of fun to have collaborations between both of our [projects]. We are very independent programs that have very busy schedules; I know that we, along with the kids, enjoy it. The film concert isn’t the same without the Choir, just as the film concert wouldn’t be the same without the Band either. Being able to include more branches of the music program, such as the guitar ensemble, makes us more connected, so it’s always a good and nice thing to have this collaboration once a year.”

This experience also gives the students a new perspective on the world of music. As Mrs. Encina said, “I think it also gives a glimpse into what it is like to be a professional musician for the students. If one of our students wanted to be a succession musician or be a part of one of these ensembles that would be in an actual film score, this is what that experience could be like. So it’s a good professional experience.”

For anyone who enjoys listening to films or soundtracks, I strongly recommend that you should attend the concert!