Varsity Football FNL

Photo Credit: Aleish Cuaresma

The first home game of the season officially wrapped up with the Los Osos Varsity Football Team taking the win, 55-36 against Don Lugo High School. 

“It was a bounce-back and it was really huge for us to get that win,” Senior Quarterback Mason Overacker said. “It’s really good momentum for the team going into the next couple of weeks.” 

Many students showed up for our team, decked in construction gear and neon to help cheer on the players. 

While waiting in line to get in, we spoke with several of the LOHS Wrestling Team members who were in attendance. Junior Janina Morales and Junior Evan Flores said, “We’re both super excited to hang out with our friends and watch the game. We really want our team to win this one!”

The amazing performances by the Los Osos Regiment, Color Guard, Cheer, and Choir during halftime added to the overall sense of excitement. Junior Kayla Rabara with Bear Facts said, “We’re winning for the first time in a blue moon! The student section is super hype.” 

Principal Cypher also said, “I’m loving the game so far. Our team is fighting hard tonight and the student section is lit. It’s all out of control and I’m loving it! This is truly where it’s at.”

The team most definitely did great with this game. The much-needed win against DLHS came after a loss against Summit High School the week prior. 

Junior Running Back Nico Martinez said, “We won’t spend too much time dwelling on it. Obviously, we remember what we need to fix but then we forget about it and start planning for the next game. Our focus is to just keep going because there’s another team to play every week.”

There are morning and afternoon practices to attend to, and on top of those hours of practice and the dedication they need to put in, the players have school and other extracurriculars to commit to.

Head Football Coach Berumen said, “It can be tough. I tell our boys all the time that it’s easy to say you want to play football, but then you have to get up at 6 a.m. to be here by 6:30, then you work out, then you have to go to school. They’re pulling 12, even 13-hour days sometimes.” 

“It’s a special thing to be a part of because you know you’re one of the few people who can do this. Not everyone is willing to put that type of commitment into a difficult sport,” Coach Berumen added. “It’s our job to motivate them. I know not every day is going to be great. I know we push them and I know they’re tired, but a lot of it is life lessons too. We have to push through that and do a job because there are people counting on us.”

He also discussed the four pillars that the football program is based on and how they’ve helped to be the “foundation” for what the team is. 

Martinez said, “I take a lot of inspiration from the New England Patriots. They have similar values to our team and I admire their work ethic.” 

And despite how brutal their schedules can get, the players’ accomplishments make it worthwhile. “Being able to start a game as a sophomore and compete at a varsity level…That was a big deal for me.” Martinez said.

Overacker shared that getting awards means a lot to him, to know that his hard work pays off and their achievements often encourage them to keep going on.

“Being on the team is really great. It’s a brotherhood and it feels good that there are people I know I can trust on the team and that I can get support from in all aspects, not just football,” Martinez said. 

Osos is lucky to have such an incredible football team, with fantastic coaches to represent. 

Another huge congratulations to our team and we wish them the very best of luck in their upcoming games and the rest of the season.