She Put The Ball on the Court

Photo+Credit%3A+LOHS+Girls+Tennis+
Photo Credit: LOHS Girl’s Tennis

The girl’s tennis program has now begun and they’re ready to ace this season. Starting their season off with a strong start and with much more will win in the future. 

Throughout Osos history, tennis is a sport that hadn’t received a lot of recognition until last year, when the girls made it to the division one CIF finals. Though they didn’t win, it was still a great accomplishment. However, this year the team captains, Senior Shukan Parikh and Junior Kaylee Lopez, have a reputation to uphold since last season. Varsity Captain, Kaylee Lopez said, “I think this season will go well. We’ve faced some obstacles, but I’m looking forward to the start of the season.”

As the girls start their season off with new and old players, there are a few things they should recognize within each player and the sport.

Tennis is a sport where, though it is quiet, players gain plenty of team-building skills by helping each other navigate through tennis, school, and life.

The competitive aspect of tennis can also help with building a social network, as well as creating a lifetime of friendships within the environment. Freshman Junior Varsity player Kristen Labarda says, “With my experience with the team I’ve learned that we are very supportive and we all try to help each other grow as a whole.” Freshman JV player, Myli Huynh, added on to say that the team pushes each other to success Seeing they understand that they can be competitive while still being helpful and understanding makes a team a team.

Being on a team, it takes a lot of effort to learn and understand teammates’ mental and physical health.

When competing as a team, it is key to prioritize mental and physical needs, especially in tennis. Labarda said, “I found that while all of the girls do their best to win for the team, we also prioritize each other’s mental and physical well-being.” The team’s first priority is their mental health, they all agree that it is important to go to court with a clear mind, rather than being angry. All sports need at least a bit of a resting period, especially tennis. The tennis team knows not to exert all their energy into practice on a hot summer day, so they are encouraged to receive frequent breaks in the shade, to stay hydrated, and to not push themselves over the limit. 

Even if it takes time to understand one another, a team will support each other in the long run. They will always be a family.