Can You Dig It?

Photo Credit: Yanizza Gutierrez

A sharp, fastball curved above the volleyball net and soared toward the floor of the Los Osos’ team side. A back-row player rushed to the ball, saving it as she scraped the floor. As the ball made its descent, a teammate near her scrambled forward and swiftly popped it up behind her. A front-row player then geared up and spiked the ball down on the opposing court

The scoreboard went up one point for the Grizzlies. The team came together for a quick celebration, a group hug, and high-fives before they hustled back to their position for another rally. The bench players encouraged their teammates with shouts and claps. When I sat in the audience, watching the Los Osos junior varsity volleyball team play, it made me wonder how these players can function so well together.

Junior varsity (JV) doesn’t get as much recognition because they’re not varsity, but they still deserve to be acknowledged. Their team dynamic is definitely special. 

When I interviewed the JV team all I saw was excitement and smiles. The coach agreed positivity is the overall vibe of the team. Coach Beloro said, “The girls are playing hard. They’re having a great time. Everyone loves each other. Everyone plays together. Everyone communicates and they have fun.”

Like all sports, making mistakes can be discouraging. The team uses laughter and alacrity to keep their spirits high during games and practices.

There are two captains, Freshman Yanizza Gutierrez and Junior Katie Joiner. They expressed that having two captains takes the pressure off, compared to having one captain who has to be the sole leader of the whole team. Instead, they can rely on each other for support. 

Gutierrez said, “I love my teammates. We always have fun on the court together, we’re always laughing, and joking. I feel like it works for us, you know?”

Teamwork is imperative in volleyball. The ball could come to any player, so the players have to be able to adjust to any play and learn to depend on each other.  

Sophomore player Emma Eyre said, “I think we mesh really well together. I think that’s why we do so [good] because we have good chemistry.”

Joiner said, “I’m just really happy I got to meet these people and play with them. I think that they’re all great and honestly one of the most positive teams I’ve been on.”

Their friendship and hard work is evident in their playing. If you want to witness this team in action, you can go to one of their home games in the gym.