Cross Country Season

Photo+Credit%3A+LOHS+XC+Team+
Photo Credit: LOHS XC Team

September 19, 2023 at 2:30 p.m. the Los Osos Grizzlies ran their first opener to a league meet at Red Hill Park. Los Osos High School (LOHS) boys cross team came 2nd overall, trailing behind Rancho Cucamonga High School (RCHS).

It was a great and special moment for the girls and boys as they celebrated the win for the LOHS cross country team. 

Before the meet all the racers were nervous, and listened to their pre-race music to lock in. 

The coaches congratulated their runners for all the hard work they put in during the summer. The Red Hill race is often looked down upon. However, these cross country runners proved they can run any course and do amazing at whatever they put their minds to. The girls were all very supportive and ran as a team. Both J.V. and Varsity did amazingly and they’re climbing in overall ranking for their league. 

Red Hill Park has very thick grass, so many were apprehensive about how much more difficult the course would be. 

Many runners are excited to see how the team will progress and compete against the RCHS team. 

Coaches Thomas Skiles and Michael Orvates were extremely proud of their runners. Skiles is the girls coach and Orvates is the Boys coach but they collaborate in order to create a solid group of runners. Skiles said, “We have a lot of young talent that coach Orvates and I are really excited about and we are hoping to have a higher finish in the league and are hoping to build on that and have all these young runners come out this year so overall, we are very excited.”

The next meet will occur in 2 weeks in Brea, California, and this is a highly anticipated race. Many runners enjoy the course as it is surrounded by nature and after this amazing win, the team is excited to show out for their team and school again in another league meet. LOHS runners are prepared for this season and they know they will continue to get better. 

LOHS runners are excited and prepared to show what they have to offer as a team. Junior Maverick Chamberlain came fourth overall in the boys Varsity run. Chamberlain said, “It was a great race and everyone should be very proud with how they did. It was the first league meet and that can intimidate most freshmen, but it didn’t at all and they raced superb[ly]. It was the first time in my time being with the team that we placed second and everyone should be very very proud and happy. The guys did great and pushed me to run as fast as I did. I know we can make CIF if the boys continue to do this well and I’m excited for the next race.” 

The team is doing spectacular and everyone is excited to see what this season has to offer. The season has started with a bang and more is to come.