The True Impacts of the Moroccan Earthquake

At approximately 11:11 pm on September 8, 2023, in Marrakesh, Morocco, a 6.8 magnitude earthquake hit and nearly 3,000 people lost their lives. About 20 minutes after the initial tremor, a 4.9 magnitude aftershock struck the area.

An earthquake of such extreme extent is highly uncommon in that area, and the country needed to be more efficiently prepared for the ruinous impact it would have. Despite their rarity, Morocco is not entirely inexperienced with these types of natural disasters.

According to CBS, the last time an earthquake of similar intensity hit the region was in 1960, when a 5.9 magnitude earthquake struck the coastal area and killed between 12,000 to 15,000 people.

Regardless, countless different historical monuments, such as museums, mosques, and other religious facilities, which have drawn thousands upon thousands of tourists over the years, were lost due to this tremor.

This historical region dates back to around the 11 century BC and limitless ancient artifacts and buildings have been destroyed because of this disaster.

A team of archaeologists who had been recovering and preserving the remains of a 1,000-year-old Moorish building known as the Tinmel Mosque were nearly finished with their work when the earthquake hit, and all of their progress was lost.

Unfortunately, the full extent of the damage is still unknown as Moroccan officials continue to explore the wreckage.

El Gauoi, a Moroccan native, said to the New York Times, “I think that this will compel a new spirit. Because really, those areas in the mountains are lagging behind, so I hope that this is an opportunity for those regions to move ahead.”

Furthermore, an innumerable amount of citizens were displaced from their homes and have been forced to take to the streets until proper aid was given to each survivor.

According to the Qatari newspaper, known as Al Jazeera, this circumstance has exposed several young women to much higher rates of violence; older men are taking this as an opportunity to prey on vulnerable girls displaced after the disaster.

As of September 19, “at least one man was arrested this week for boast[ing] online about traveling to quake-hit zones to sexually assault young girls.” This agenda has been circulated on social media by several different accounts and authorities are still attempting to consolidate the frenzy.

According to the United Nations Development Programme, “women and girls are 14 times more likely to die during disasters than men.”

There are several ways to help the survivors of this brutal tremor, such as donating to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, International Medical Corps, or World Central Kitchen.

Education regarding earthquake preparedness is essential, especially in areas like Morocco, where one singular earthquake can have a catastrophic impact.